So where does the money raised by the Cherrywood Art Fair go? It supports the mission and purpose of Chula League, the non-profit producer of the Fair. One of the biggest and best-regarded beneficiaries of the Fair is Chula League’s Little Artist BIG ARTIST program.
Little Artist BIG ARTIST is a unique mentoring experience that pairs professional artists with fifth-graders from four East Austin elementary schools (Allison, Blackshear, Maplewood and Oak Springs in 2016) for a 10 week one-on-one collaboration. The artist pairs navigate the creative process, with professional artists who show kids how to turn ideas into art and art into a business, making art and opportunity together. The program culminates in a Spring Art Show, with an opening night reception where Little Artists get to interact with their audience. The Little Artist keeps at least one of the jointly produced works as a keepsake, and a second work is auctioned at the Cherrywood Art Fair. Auction proceeds are donated back to the Little Artists’ school art programs.
You can learn more about Little Artist BIG ARTIST at our website where you can also sign up to be a BIG ARTIST or a volunteer for the program.
The work the artists and the Chula League do is inspirational. The art show was amazing and I loved seeing the smiles of the proud parents, students, artists, and teachers.
–JoLynn Rettig, Art Teacher
LaBA is about artist mentors connecting with 5th and 6th graders through art. We provide the program at no cost to the families or schools involved, working directly in the their communities. With the support of Cherrywood Art Fair, Amplify Austin and wonderful artists and teachers who participate, we hope to continue to grow the program because art should be accessible to everyone.
–Jennifer Ramos, Little Artist BIG ARTIST Program Coordinator & Photographer
This video will also give you a feel for how the program enriches both the Little and BIG artists.
Artist application and booth fees for Cherrywood Art Fair directly benefit the Little Artist BIG ARTIST program.
2016 Big Artists
- Chandra Achberger | Chandra Achberger
- Mandy Ackerman | Mandy Ackerman
- Sandy Bowie | Sugar Puppet
- Emily Cano | Sweet Ink Collective
- Katie Cowden | Katie Cowden
- Angie Diaz | Angie Boutique
- Nicole Finkelstein | Nicole Finkelstein
- Elly Fleegal | Fleegal Farms
- Eya Floyd | Eya Claire
- Justin Gannon | Gannon Studio
- Heather Harris | Heather Harris Art
- Jennifer Hill | Jennifer Hill Ceramics
- Brian David Johnson | BDJ Craftworks
- Coleman Kelly | ColemanKellyCrafts
- Jess Moss | Hotline Ink
- Lei Lani De Santiago | Ape Gear
- Sara Senseman | Sara Senseman
- Amy Sherman | Amy Sherman
- Michael Sieben | Michael Sieben
- Madison Somerville | M Somerville Photography
- Emily Spykman | Clementine & Co.
- April Sullivan | Yarn Painting by April
- Ruth Waddy | Ruthless Reuse